Friday, March 6, 2009

March Update

Hi Friends!!!  I have lots to tell you!

 

First of all, at 7 a.m. one morning a couple of weeks ago, I went to a Rosh Chodesh service at the Western Wall with a group of progressive Jewish women who call themselves the “Women of the Wall.”  I believe I told you a little bit about them in my previous blog entry.  Because there was a Reform Rabbis’ Convention in town, there were many people attending.  There were probably 50 women, including the regular Women of the Wall, some female reform Rabbis, and other HUC students like me.  There were also about 15-20 men that came to support us.  We stood, huddled together, just inside the entrance to the women’s section of the Western Wall and held our short service.  Most of the service was sung by one leader, but there were a few songs that we sang together, out loud.  Because men are not allowed to hear female voices singing in prayer, we raised more than just an eyebrow or two!  There were men from the men’s side of the mechitzah yelling at us to stop singing.  Eventually, a female guard began to yell at us—louder than we were singing—to stop.  When we didn’t stop, she brought over multiple male guards with guns as well as others who appeared to be her superiors.  (See pictures below)  We were able to finish the first part of our service and continue with the Torah reading elsewhere (women reading Torah at the wall is highly illegal).  It was an intense morning, to say the least!  I felt my body fill with adrenaline.  I was terrified and excited all at the same time!  I am so glad that I went.  I have recently been contemplating my personal/religious relationship to the Wall, and after this experience, I feel I have more of a connection to hold onto.  

photo by Mirah Curzer

“Women of the Wall”


photo by Mirah Curzer

A brave reform rabbi (blue shirt) speaking with the orthodox men who were yelling at us from the men’s side of the Wall


photo by Mirah Curzer

just a few of the men who came to support us


photo by Mirah Curzer

the angry female guard who yelled at us to stop singing



photo by Mirah Curzer

multiple guards get involved and speak directly with Anat Hoffman, a leader of the Women of the Wall

 

 

 

In other news, I led my first HUC morning (Shacharit) service with two rabbinical students on Monday, February 9th.  It was Tu B’shevat, so we had fun incorporating Israeli nature-type songs into our service.  We all felt really good about what we put together, and we got positive feedback from our peers and from our evaluators.  

 

 

 

Maybe you all remember Benny Maiser who came and worked with the cantorial students in a master class last December?  A fellow student, Nancy Bach (who has a great HUC blog on www.huc.edu) posted a picture of him working with me in the class:



Also, last night, I went to a MASA sponsored Idan Raichel Project concert.  MASA is an organization that helps fund students who want to study in Israel.  The Idan Raichel Project is a fantastic Israeli musical group with many talented musicians that attempts to incorporate musical sounds from all over the world.  Their website is: http://www.idanraichelproject.com/en/.  I highly recommend checking out their message and their music. 

 

Purim is coming up!  The cantorial students and a few brave rabbinical students who volunteered will be chanting the whole megilah!  The trope system for the megilah (which is different from Torah and Haftarah trope) is very dramatic and interesting to listen to.  A few people are also doing some short Purim shpiels.  My roommate, Aviva, for example, is performing/writing/directing/starring in “Shacharit, the Musical.”  We’re also all dressing up.  It should be a fun night! 

 

All of the students are currently working on applying and interviewing for next year’s student pulpit jobs.  I am applying to about 7 or 8.  Congregations (especially the smaller ones) apply to the school for a student to come for High Holy Day services, and various times throughout the year, either multiple times per week, twice a month, or once a month.  As much as I will miss Temple Emanuel, I am excited for next year.  I should find out by the end of March my congregation placement.  My job could be in New York, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Alabama, Florida, or who knows?! .  I am truly looking forward to spending the summer with my Temple Emanuel family, though!

 

Well, I guess that’s enough for one blog!  I hope everyone is doing well!  I hope to hear from you soon!

 

L’Shalom,

Amanda

1 comment:

Jeff H. said...

Hey, Amanda, thanks for your March post. On the Wall service, we're with you in spirit ... wish we could have been there with you to lend support.

On Idan Raichel: Marcia loves him! We've had him on our iPod for a couple of years now; the album that starts with "A Leaf in the Wind" and "On Shabat" is one of Marcia's favorites. Glad you enjoyed the concert.

Happy Purim!

Jeff (+ Marcia)